Run the Race Set Before You




“Do you think that I have come to bring peace on the earth?  No, I tell you, but rather division!”  [1]

Normally, I preach on the Gospel lesson.  I almost always preach on the Gospel lesson, and believe me, I had an almost overwhelming desire to preach on these words of Jesus, and the obvious parallels they have, in word if not in spirit, to political climate in America in the last several years.

I decided to let the opportunity pass because the reading from the Letter to the Hebrews, contains one of my favorite passages of scripture: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us . . ."


I'm not usually an obsessive type.  I have the attention span of a gerbil.  I don't ordinarily get fixated on one thing and stay with it day after day, month after month.  But I have to confess to you that in the far distant past, I became obsessed.  I became obsessed with a race.  


I began running for health and recreation in April 1996.  It started out rather harmlessly with Linda and me losing a lot of weight due to Weight Watchers and a regimen of daily walking for exercise.  However, I found that I didn’t want to walk, I wanted to run.  I began jogging at work during my lunch hour, and as I continued this new regimen, the distance I could run before I ran out of breath got further and further. Before I knew it, I was running four miles a day, several times a week, with a small group of hardened runners. 


I ran my first 5 kilometer race a year later, and my first 10K shortly thereafter.  I always started each race with a prayer, "Oh God, please don't let me be last," and I never was.  I never finished first, but then I never finished last, either.  I began to get the feeling that before I turned 50, maybe this old fat boy could run a marathon.  And imagine my surprise when it was announced that the Quad Cities, where we were living, would be having its first marathon on September 20, 1998. 


Of course, you don't just run a marathon.  Remember, the name of the race comes from the legend of a Greek herald named Pheidippides, who, after the Greeks defeated the Persians at the Battle of Marathon in 492 BC, ran the twenty-six miles to Athens, gasped out the single word, "victory," and fell over dead.  Now the idea of the modern marathon is to cover the requisite distance without dropping dead at the end, or anywhere else along the course.    In order to do that, however, you have to prepare for the race, you have to study for it, and you have to train for it.


You have to do your homework.  What kind of shoes should you wear, and what kind of clothing?  You can run four miles in just about anything, but when you run longer and longer distances, you quickly find out whether your shoes are right for your running style and the build of your body.  Normal cotton shorts and tee shirts need to be replaced with stuff that will wick moisture away from your body, and which won't chafe you to the point of bleeding when you run in them for hours at a time.  And you discover Vaseline.  I won't even go into it, but I was astounded to find out the importance of Vaseline.


What kind of diet do you need to eat?  The sugars in your blood stream only last about 30 minutes when you're running, and your body begins to look for something to eat, including itself, so you had better give it something.  Linda had to become an expert in cooking pasta, and our pantry became filled with bizarre things called Power Bars, and fluid supplement called Cytomax, and a liquid food to eat while running with the appetizing name GU.


And, of course, you have to run.  You have to run a lot.  The experts recommend you run for at least a year before trying to run a marathon, but the serious training starts about 18 weeks before the race.  You gradually increase the miles you run per week, and the miles you run each time, until you peak about four weeks before the race by running a twenty-mile run.  You run in the heat, and in the rain, and in the snow.  You run at night, and you run during the day. Linda summed up the couple of years of my life in which I ran marathons by saying, “He goes to work, he goes to church, and he runs.”


And remember, this was just a stupid race, a race that I wasn’t even going to win!  The writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was talking about our lives in Christ, ". . . let us lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us . . ." 


Shouldn't we put the same amount of effort into our lives in Christ that we put into other, less important things?  Shouldn't we be as obsessed with our Christianity as we are with our careers, or our sports, or our hobbies?  Shouldn't we prepare as hard to run that race as we do to run these other races?  Because even though we become Christians through an act of God at our baptisms, that is only the beginning of our race, and the race lasts for the rest of our lives. 


The Cursillo movement teaches that our preparation for the Christian life should consist of three things; piety, by which they mean acts of devotion, study and action.  The Anglican Fellowship of Prayer calls the same three parts prayer, study and action.  No matter how you phrase it, the principle remains true.


Each of us needs to fuel our Christian race with daily prayer, and with private and corporate worship.  We need the sustenance that can only be provided by intimate contact with our Lord.  It is our Power Bar, our Cytomax, and even our GU.


We also have to study.  We need to be firmly grounded in knowledge of the Holy Scriptures and other inspirational writings of those who have run the race before us.  You have a perfect opportunity in front of you in the Education for Ministry program starting again this fall.   I would urge you to take advantage of it, as I did years ago.  I realize that a lot of you are looking at the length of the study, four years, and are thinking that it's too long of a commitment to make.  Remember, the race you are running lasts for your entire lifetime!  What are four years compared to that?


Finally, you need to run.  You need to engage in ministry.  You need to feed the poor, clothe the naked, and heal the sick.  You need to bring the joy of a life in Christ to all those with whom God puts you into contact.  We train for ministry by doing those ministries.  And through training we gain discipline, we gain endurance, and mostly, we gain faith.  When you begin training for a marathon, the 26.2 miles looks to be insurmountable, but as you progress through the regimen, as your weekly endurance runs get longer and longer, the insurmountable becomes achievable.  Our ministries work in the same way, as we find that God really does empower us for ministry, that our faith really can move mountains.


Lastly, there are the spectators.  The writer of Hebrews began this passage, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses . . .”  In any race there are spectators, but I cannot think of that “cloud of witnesses” without remembering the New York City Marathon, which I ran in November, 2000.  You start on Staten Island and run across the Veranzano Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn and Queens.  After 15 miles, you cross the Queensboro Bridge onto Manhattan Island.  There are spectators all along the way, but as you exit the on-ramp and turn north on First Avenue, you are met by 100,000 and more people lining the street.  You are forewarned to write your name prominently on your clothing, I wrote “Bryan” in large letters on my headband, because people in the throng, people you do not know and will never meet, will call out to you, clapping and cheering, encouraging you to persevere, to continue on until you reach the finish line. 


This is the communion of saints.  Our cloud of witnesses consists of all those who have run the race before us and won the victor's prize; all the saints, the martyrs, our mentors, our friends and relatives, all those who have finished the race and are now standing in the presence of God. 


They watch us and cheer us every step of the way, encouraging us to persevere, to continue on.  And all the company of heaven joins their voices as we cross the finish line and fall into the arms of our Lord.  Then we see the smile on his face, and the pride in his eyes, and hear him say, "Well run." 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crown Him with Many Crowns

The Unfaithful Steward

You Will Not Replace Us